You can read the in-depth cover story that I wrote about Gravity for the American Cinematographer online here.
Emmanuel Lubezki’s work on this film is a paradigm of the expanded role of the cinematographer in films with high virtual content. We are entering an era that includes virtual cinematography in the DP’s job.
The article is based on interviews I did with:
- cinematographer Emmanuel Lubezki
- director Alfonso Cuaron
- gaffer John Higgins
- visual fx supervisor Tim Webber
- colorist Steven J Scott
- Technicolor senior producer Michael Dillon
- Framestore senior vfx producer Charles Howell
- Framestore CG lighting supervisor Paul Beilby